I know this technique has been around since the beginning of knitting, but I have just discovered it for myself.
First of all, I taught myself how to knit by using a book and following the pictures. I am left handed but taught myself to knit right handed. I am a tight knitter. When knitting Wendy's socks for the KAL, it did not matter if I used a size US 0 or a size US 1 or even a size US 2, I always got 9 stitches to the inch. I was in a dilemma in that I didn't know what size sock to knit. I knew the large would be too big, but when I knit the small, they were too small. I can't tell you how many times I started over on the Lacy Rib Socks.
I got to thinking that perhaps if I changed my way of holding the yarn it may make a difference. This is how I normally hold my yarn when knitting. Oh, by the way, I throw my yarn. I've tried continental, but I prefer throwing.
So I wondered how my guage would be if I changed the way I hold my yarn now to they way I've seen other people hold theirs. So I changed to this:
and, you know, it did change my guage from 9 spi down to 8 spi which is what Wendy's pattern called for. Here is the back of sock. About half way up, you can see the slight change in the size of the stitches----well, I can tell a difference at any rate:
Here is the front of the sock:
This is another of Wendy's socks and the alternate choice for this month's KAL. The pattern is called "Sprucey Lucy Socks" and it is one of Wendy's free patterns. I wasn't going to knit the second pair this month, but I held out as long as I could. I may not finish the socks by the end of this months KAL, but that doesn't matter.
The yarn I'm using for these is Miss Babs Yummy Superwash Sock and Baby Yarn in the colorway "Spring Violets". The yarn is truly "yummy" to knit with.
OK, I'm going to close for now and work a little more on my socks before I go downstairs and crank up the sewing machine to make this for Maggie---it's a little cover-up:
Let me tell you a little about this. Alicia found this on one of the children's boutiques on-line stores. She wrote and asked me if I thought I could make something like it. She said I could just use an old towel to make it. I got to looking around and decided the towels I have would be too thick for the ribbon and I wanted to find some of the terry cloth that you find in baby clothes. I looked all over town for it and no one had it and could not tell me where to find it. The fabric I was looking for was "French Terry". I started looking on the internet. I found some at one store that was $14 a yard but they only had pink and blue. I kept looking and found another place where I could get the white at $5 a yard for the exact same thing. (I don't have the address in front of me right now, but when I write up the blog entry for the finished cover-up, I'll tell you---they have wonderful fabrics at wonderful prices!!!!)
It looks like in the photo that the trim is fabric, but I'm going to use 1 3/4" grosgrain ribbon. I'm also going to do a different monogram. Alicia and I decided to put Maggie's "M" initial with green and pink polkadots around it. She really doesn't like her name written out on her clothes---safety reasons, I guess.
OK, enough of that. I'm off to do something creative---or not. ;)